- What if you could predict a thunderstorm? Or a tornado? Or a tsunami?
- What if you could use this information to warn people ahead of time about a possible disaster and save their lives?
- Maybe you could estimate when an earthquake might happen…or a mudslide.
- Or perhaps you could determine the area where a meteor might fall to earth.
- Understanding functions is key to making these and other important predictions. A function is the relationship between a set of inputs and its set of possible outputs.
- Imagine you’re a meteorologist developing an equation to estimate the temperature of the air at a certain location and a certain time, based on how high you are above the ocean.
- What happens if you choose a lower altitude?
- Or a higher one? How does that change your prediction?
- Whether you want to invest in the stock market, program a computer, or investigate the scene of an accident, functions are helpful tools for understanding and solving problems of all types.
- In this unit you’ll discover the power of functions and how they relate to you and your everyday life.
↑ Return to Algebra 1A
3 – Functions
Permanent link to this article: http://newvillagegirlsacademy.org/math/?page_id=169